grub-devel

Re: bugfix, hostfs

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: bugfix, hostfs
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:38:04 +0200

> address@hidden (Tomas Ebenlendr) writes:
>
> > As worse problem I see utf8 from grub side and 8-bit encoding from libc side
> > (pathnames). This can be solved with some translation, but I'm not
> > decided how to tell grub the encoding.
> > One way is to have device.map entry style:
> > host        iso8859-2
>
> And you will use iconv for conversion?

Probably. I'm not decided yet, because if there will be some conversion
tool in grub itself, (for 8-bit encoding filesystems) it should be used
rather than external library. I want to commit hostfs without
internationalisation and solve this 'same way' as in other filesystems.

> > This will also specify that 'host' device will be accessible only if
> > defined in device.map.
>
> Is that really required?

No. It was just an idea.

I fixed all that you commented in previous mail but the disk detection
(mounting). The disk detection is in fakedisk.h and can be easily
changed.

--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik