grub-devel

Re: Status of GRUB / GRUB2?

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Status of GRUB / GRUB2?
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:24:59 +0200

"Martin Baute" <address@hidden> writes:

> I submitted this as bug #9640 last week, but it seems
> the bug tracker isn't that well maintained, so I'll
> try the mailing list now.

We don't use the bug tracker for GRUB 2.

> The website is very hazy on the following (crucial, IMHO)
> points:
>
> * will GRUB2 still be Multiboot compliant? Will existing
>   self-written kernels have to adapt to GRUB2?

It will be.  At the moment it is not yet fully multiboot complaint.

> * how far away is GRUB2? What is yet to be done? Any roadmap?

Things change dayly.  Just have a look at CVS and this mailinglist.
Currently a lot needs to be done.

> That being said, you still have GRUB dangling at 0.9x, "not
> been released publically", and yet being discontinued for
> some "GRUB 2" that might be years off for all we (casual
> visitors of your website) would know.

Why is that a problem?  GRUB Legacy bugs will be fixed, etc.  There
won't be any problem.  Just because something better will be written
is no reason not to use GRUB Legacy at the moment.

--
Marco