grub-devel

Re: normal mode chainloader

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: normal mode chainloader
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:30:26 +0200

address@hidden (Tomas Ebenlendr) writes:

> ad copyright:
> I will send the copyright snail-mail at this friday. Then I'm leaving to
> Norway for one month.

I think Okuji will get a message from the FSF about this.  I think it
is safe to assume the FSF will receive the mail and to apply the
patch. :)

Or Okuji, do you really want to wait for the FSF to confirm this
assignment?

> ad modules:
> In fact the dependencies are written somewhere in elf format and
> depmod.lst is only for user to see what depends on what.

So that doesn't mean _chain gets autoloaded?

> autoloading:
> I wrote simple cmd-autoloading patch, but it triggers some mm-bug which I hunt
> now. Moreover my network card in my laptop (where I hack for grub) is broken,
> so I will post the patch when I return.

Which bugs are those?  I had some mm problems with the PPC port as
well.

If it is incorrect usage of malloc and free, you could use valgrind.

> ad normal mode chainloader:
> Consider moving loader/i386/pc/chainloader_normal.c to
> commands/chainloader.c. I don't know which placement is better. (This
> file will not contain any architecture dependent code as long as
> arguments passed to command chainloader will be same for all
> architectures.)

No, the chainloader is for the PC only.  And it depends on something
that is arch specific.

Thanks,
Marco