grub-devel

Re: sctripting in grub

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: sctripting in grub
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:05:24 +0200

On Wednesday 02 June 2004 12:24, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:
> One part of TODO is grub scripting. Which way this should be done?
> command source? - should it have own module? (dynamic/static)?
>  + some commands for scripting (if/then/else, goto)

I think this was discussed in PUPA (with Marco?), and the conclusion was
that a shell script would be preferable for this. Could you look at the
archive of pupa-devel:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pupa-devel/

I don't remember when we discussed this exactly.

> PS: How I distinguish dynamic modules (that can be runtime loaded)
> and modules that are staticaly in kernel? (such as cat, boot, ....)

kernel should not be extended unless necessary. The kernel only
implements a minimal environment which is required to rescue a system.

> PPS: What does the normal mode?

The normal mode is what we want to work on normally. The rescue mode is
to rescue a system. For example, the rescue mode does not implement any
menu interface because this is not essential to boot up a system. So
this kind of high-level features should be implemented in the normal
mode.

Here is an analogy:

GRUB Legacy        GRUB 2
Stage1             boot
Stage1.5           rescue
Stage2             normal

The main difference is that the rescue mode can boot an OS, while Stage
1.5 cannot.

Okuji