grub-devel

Re: ext2 find patch

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: ext2 find patch
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:47:10 +0200

address@hidden (Tomas Ebenlendr) writes:

> The same problem was with symlinks, so the new version of patch is here.
>
> It does stat every inode (and ignore the info in direntries).
> There is also small fix in absolute symlinks (chopping the initial '/')

Thanks a lot for tracking down these problems and sending in a patch.
I noticed some problems with my GNU/Hurd ext2 filesystem as well,
similar to these.  At first I thought it was because of something
related to the Hurd, now I assume it is the same problem.

What I want to do is having a look if/how I can separate the code to
test if it is a directory/symlink, traverse the tree, follow symlinks,
etc.  Now I just duplicated some code for the 3 filesystems I
implemented.  I will change the code to use one generic set of helper
functions, or perhaps changing the interfaces.  I really hate
duplicated code, it can trigger bugs (as you see here) and it
increases binary size and it makes maintaining harder.  Tackling this
problem is very important to me.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to do this now.  I am busy with
school and some other stuff.  In some weeks I will have a look at
these more generic problems and the ext2 specific problems.

So, basically, your patch will not be ignored, it will just take quite
a while before I can properly deal with it in the way I want to. :)

Thanks,
Marco