grub-devel

Re: UFS support

From: M. Gerards
Subject: Re: UFS support
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:15:17 +0200

Quoting Shudong Zhou <address@hidden>:

> I'm an engineer at Sun. We are looking at making Solaris x86
> Multiboot compliant and use GRUB to boot Solaris.

That is really nice to hear.  At the moment I am thinking about changing
the multiboot protocol, or writing multiboot v2 or so.  At the moment
multiboot is PC only, GRUB will be ported to other architectures, GNU/Hurd
will and we need multiboot support on those architectures as well.
(Don't take this as something official, we still need to discuss this more)

I will work on this during my summer vacation.  Of course I will discuss that
on this list, help will be welcome.

But you can start using multiboot right away, GRUB will continue to have
multiboot support (AFAIK).

> I have developed UFS module based on GRUB legacy 0.93 and also
> have it understand Solaris VTOC. I'll be happy to share what
> I have. I haven't had a chance to look at GRUB 2 yet.

It would be nice to know what the differences are compared to the UFS as it
is used by BSD.  It would be useful to have some documentation about this
and a test filesystem.  If you can send me that, it will help me a lot.

Thanks,
Marco