grub-devel

Re: from pupa to grub or grub2

From: M. Gerards
Subject: Re: from pupa to grub or grub2
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:09:39 +0100

Quoting "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden>:

> I started to replace pupa with grub or grub2. It still contains PUPA in
> many places, but I'd like to remove all PUPA names from GRUB 2, so that
> the user wouldn't be confused with the mixture of project names.

That is nice.  Can you please wait until I applied my patches?  There
are two big patched I'd like to apply this week.

> But I have one question: Which is better, GRUB 2 or GRUB? Since the code
> base is quite different, I think the distinction between GRUB and GRUB
> 2 is a good thing, although I prefer GRUB to GRUB 2 as a software name.

Both are fine for me.  But the best thing is to make sure people will not
get confused, with the reasoning GRUB 2 would be better.  Personally
I do like GRUB better because is looks nicer.

> For now, I call it sometimes GRUB 2, and sometimes just GRUB. IMO, it is
> better to have a good guideline which specifies which name should be
> used in a given situation. Do you have any idea?

It would be better to use it GRUB 2 all the time.

--
Marco