grub-devel

Re: from pupa to grub or grub2

From: chaac
Subject: Re: from pupa to grub or grub2
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:55:15 +0200

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
But I have one question: Which is better, GRUB 2 or GRUB? Since the code base is quite different, I think the distinction between GRUB and GRUB 2 is a good thing, although I prefer GRUB to GRUB 2 as a software name.

For now, I call it sometimes GRUB 2, and sometimes just GRUB. IMO, it is better to have a good guideline which specifies which name should be used in a given situation. Do you have any idea?

Okuji

Hi,

Maybe GRUB could be the base name and number 2 would then be just mean version 2(.xx). It is not unusual that major rewrite is done between major versions of software.

If you speak with name GRUB then what version you are speaking could probably be detected from context.

If it is official context you could just say GRUB 2.0 (or whatever is current version numbering scheme). Or by short GRUB 2 if referring to something that is only in newest version.

Just my thoughs.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen