[grt-talk] curable meditate

From: Sampson Lara
Subject: [grt-talk] curable meditate
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:41:22 +0700

Then, what clue could you have as to his identity? You have come in by train this morning, I see.
For example, how did you deduce thatthis man was intellectual?
We shall soon set matters right, I have nodoubt. Well, then, do you imagine that this other one, Henry Baker, hadanything to do with the matter?
To my surprise the question provoked a burst of anger from thesalesman.
The evidence against him was so strong that the casehas been referred to the Assizes.
Then, what clue could you have as to his identity?
Holmes, that we are very much indebted to you forhaving cleared the matter up.
Then he stepped into the cab, and in half an hour we were back inthe sitting-room at Baker Street.
It was pierced in the brim for ahat-securer, but the elastic was missing. John Horner,a plumber, was accused of having abstracted it from the ladysjewel-case.
I left the bird,rushed back to my sisters, and hurried into the back yard. Sherlock Holmes ran her over with one of his quick,all-comprehensive glances. But how on earth do you deducethat the gas is not laid on in his house? The bird gave a gulp, and I felt the stone passalong its gullet and down into its crop.
That was it, said Holmes, nodding approvingly; I have no doubtof it.
To my surprise the question provoked a burst of anger from thesalesman. Chance has put in our way a most singular andwhimsical problem, and its solution is its own reward. Give him an arm back into his chair,Watson.
Good-morning, madam, said Holmes cheerily. Send him to gaol now, andyou make him a gaol-bird for life.
But the creature flappedand struggled, and out came my sister to know what was thematter. Let you have five hundred to-morrow morning. But have you never been prosecuted for begging?
Then, what clue could you have as to his identity? It is a cold night, and I observe that your circulation ismore adapted for summer than for winter. That was it, said Holmes, nodding approvingly; I have no doubtof it.
That white one with the barred tail, right in the middle of theflock. I heard her voice downstairs, but I knew thatshe could not ascend.
So much for the police-court, said Holmes thoughtfully,tossing aside the paper.
I took the tattered object in my hands and turned it over ratherruefully. This is my intimate friend and associate, Dr. Now, then: Found atthe corner of Goodge Street, a goose and a black felt hat. I reached this one, said my friend, by sitting upon fivepillows and consuming an ounce of shag.
I left the bird,rushed back to my sisters, and hurried into the back yard.
Shillings have notbeen so plentiful with me as they once were, he remarked. No crime, said Sherlock Holmes, laughing. My dear fellow, I would not miss it for anything.