[grt-talk] aim

From: Roger Gay
Subject: [grt-talk] aim
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 06:39:49 +0900

He filled his pipe, and sat himself crosswise in an armchair withhis legs dangling over an arm. He spoke of hisdaughter at school without the flicker of fear in his eyes whichhad distressed me. About these enemies I was wholly in the dark.
Well, we cant afford to let them catchhim.
I repeated what Macgillivray had told me aboutTroth and Barralty. He has been out for the whole day, but hes backnow, for I heard his bath running. The gentleman neednt worry himself, and he had told him so, but itwas no good speaking. I suddenly felt very feeble, and rathertimid and old.
Hes too dangerous a lad to be left at large. To me the whole affair suddenly beganto wear a blacker complexion.
Then I felt bound to put in a word of caution. Any one reading that letter must assume that he knewall about the Haraldsen family and its affairs.
But as he looked at Sandy his solemnity brokeinto a smile. But I didnt think it wise to come direct.
Hehas been through rather a beastly experience, which Ill tell youabout some day. To-morrow morning hegoes back with you to Fosse with a bagful of papers which Haraldsenwill sign. There were a couple of young men, too, who didntsay much.
He had also the latest works onfinance, so he kept himself abreast of his profession. He spoke of hisdaughter at school without the flicker of fear in his eyes whichhad distressed me. The jadetablet was put in my hands for a purpose.
It doesntdo to underrate the intelligence of that crowd. Fosse was a shabby, old farm-house comparedto it.
To me the whole affair suddenly beganto wear a blacker complexion.
If we were makingno progress with Haraldsens business we were at any rate mendinghis health.
A sharp practitioner, of course, but theresmore in his persecution of Haraldsen than mere greed.
The Varrinder youth, who came with theMatthews, turned up again.
As I was showing Sandy his room he said solemnly, We must have along talk after dinner, Dick. Partly because ofMonsieur le Capitaine Jacques DIngraville, alias Pierre Blanc. Any one reading that letter must assume that he knewall about the Haraldsen family and its affairs.
Hedidnt say one word till we reached the house and were beinggreeted by Mary. I go up to town to-morrow, said Sandy, and I must get busy. Yousee, they both fell into the Mill pool.
Iwant to get them off his trail and gunning for me.
Then I felt bound to put in a word of caution. I heard for a fact that his bank has pulled himup about his overdraft. His hairhas gone grey, and he has the air of a retired cavalry colonel.
Its one version of the Grand Manner that ourancestors used to talk about.
You rememberin the Medina business that I advised you to get straight off toMachray?
There was nothing boyish now about his face.