[grt-talk] box box

From: Paddy Guthrie
Subject: [grt-talk] box box
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:51:44 -0500

There were bell-tents, huts and trenches, but no sign ofguns.
The algebraical factor had beentranslated into terms of Arabia, and fitted like a glove. One luckyshell caught the front waggon of the train in the siding, and it tookfire furiously. We must take more painsin the service of news than any regular staff. The distant shots had grown and tiedthemselves into long, ragged volleys. Of this our propaganda was the stained and ignoble offspring. If not, we would urge them, or try to drive them out. Our teeth chattered, and wetrembled and hissed involuntarily, while our hands drew in like claws. The Turks were stupid; the Germans behindthem dogmatical. InTurkey things were scarce and precious, men less esteemed thanequipment. Our Army was not intelligently maintaining a philosophic conception inFlanders or on the Canal.
Traffic was held up for three days of repairand investigation. A lineof variability, Man, persisted like leaven through its estimates,making them irregular. The algebraical element looked to me a pure science, subject tomathematical law, inhuman. Fauzanhad great ado to make him quiet, and then questioned him about hisTurkish masters. Shakir had just arrived, and his men and ours were roastinggoat-flesh contentedly. Victory could he purchased only by blood. Wehad taken away their power to harm us, and yet wanted to take awaytheir town.
My wits, hostile to theabstract, took refuge in Arabia again.
The place swelled up; and my arm became stiff and sore. Wehad taken away their power to harm us, and yet wanted to take awaytheir town. Behind these hills we rodesouthward till opposite Aba el Naam. A bad habit this: so we sent off two men to lie by eachblockhouse, and fire a few shots after dark.
Our cue was to destroy, not the Turks army, but hisminerals. I dismounted and fingered its thrilling rails for the firsttime during the war.
Mohammed el Khadi guided us to a deserted bit of line just beforemidnight.
Shakir had just arrived, and his men and ours were roastinggoat-flesh contentedly.
At present we had nearly fiftythousand: sufficient for the day.
Behind these hills we rodesouthward till opposite Aba el Naam. Theyfired back, snap-shooting through the rain, and the evening swallowedhim. I dismounted and fingered its thrilling rails for the firsttime during the war.
At dusk we climbed down again with the goat-herd prisoner, and what wecould gather of his flock.
At the same time wecould not possibly act alike. If not, we would urge them, or try to drive them out. As it climbed we shifted our cloaks to filter its harshness,and basked in luxurious warmth. Mohammed was eighteen,solid and silent natured.