[grt-talk] lookout

From: Hope Britt
Subject: [grt-talk] lookout
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:23:21 -0400

She said to the maid who had brought in the telegram:Amy, find Scaramouch. But,Uncle Hilary, what are you going to do if you get him?
He suddenly uncrossed his arms, shookhis head from side to side and began to walk rapidly on. The nosierone could be in a crowd the happier one felt.
This is poor work, said Hilary, suddenly, but I agree with youits got to be done.
About a hundred yards beyond the spinney, Ferse was plodding slowlyup the hill. Soon Hilarysthin dark figure came hurrying into view. Her beautiful face,fine and worn as that on a coin, expressed nothing. Dinny beckoned her out into herown room, and, once more without a word, handed over the telegram.
And you live with them at Condaford Grange in Oxfordshire? Steady, old man, we shall never get in; hell only see us, andthatll spill it. I believe, Miss Cherrell, that you were staying with Captain andMrs. Then,suddenly, he seemed to get hold of himself again.
I remember, said Hilary, a little further on theres a turn toSutton. Having read it, she said quietly:Thats what you prayed for, dear. It seems to me that his own house isthe only chance.
You lead, said Hilary; youve got the best eyes, and yourclothes are less conspicuous.
Too thick, said Hilary; hell be carrying on to the open. They ran, but suddenly stood still behind a yew tree. Shebrought the car to a standstill, and they all got out. Adrianwaited till he had disappeared among the bushes on the slope, andbeckoned Hilary to follow.
He had closed the eyes andcovered the face with his handkerchief. Within tenminutes, indeed, they were on the road with Fleur at the wheel. Hell keep to the open, he wants air, poor devil. After all, youresupposed to be scientific, Uncle. They started again, trailing through the traffic of Dorkings longand busy street. Always like that, said Fleur, when youre in a hurry.
Then,suddenly, he seemed to get hold of himself again. It was dawning on her gradually that she wasin some sort the hub of the approaching inquest. This is wired for sheep, said Hilary, Look! Then hastily he ran along the edgetill he came to where Hilary was standing.
This is a queer business,old boy, for you and me.
No, I dont see either; but were not supposed to exercise our ownjudgments as to that.
Were coming to the cross roads above Bignor, murmured Hilary. They started again, trailing through the traffic of Dorkings longand busy street.
Twenty minutes was lost before they were again in motion.
Hundreds ofrabbits suffer the tortures of the damned. The Down now dipped a little towhere a chalky track ran above a beech wood to their left.
I dont believe insuicide for the sane, except in very rare cases.