[grt-talk] someway unsound

From: Hilda Gregg
Subject: [grt-talk] someway unsound
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:55:53 +0100

Miss Warren swooped down upon the small parcel with the avidity of some bird of prey. He was a good-natured giantof a man, with the build of a prize-fighter. She crossed the landing to her own room, and then turned to give furtheradvice. Stephen bristled with defensive instinct, although he knew that Newtonsattitude was reasonable. Oates made an effort to relieve the tension, as she rose from herchair. Then she held it out, so that Helen might see it. Oates, in his grey woollen cardigan, was eating a huge. No man would ever look at me,while the Professors daughter-in-law was by. The tide of her curiosity was running strongly when, at long last, sheentered the blue room. It was her duty, if any unauthorized personwas secreted in the house. Rejecting it in favor of a backless gown of pale-pink angel-skin, shedrew it over her head. Miss Warren came to the door, in answer to her knock. Oates who was showing Nurse Barker to her patients room. I dont want to hear your thoughts, Lady Warren whined. But, my lady, said Helen, the new nurse will sleep with you tonight. She had to turn her head round, in order to look at the bed. Her back view, however, was impressive, forshe was unusually tall. She had to turn her head round, in order to look at the bed. She felt a little doubtful of the commission, as she groped with herhand, in the dark recess. Tell Oates to see to it, please, he said, with an absent nod. Helen remembered his words as she trotted to and fro, between the, tableand the sideboard. Oates poured Worcester sauce over his fish, and changed the subject. And are you aware that my mother has heart-disease, and has been unableto move, for months? Oates smiled sheepishly as he tried to return the compliment. But, first, Ill have a desperate dig at his highernature. Almost running into his room, he slammed the door be hind him, and threwhimself on the bed. Nurse Barker shook her head, with a smile full of dark meaning. Toned by the incident, Helen resolved to test her nerve by a descent ofthe back-stairs. Helen, who was always ready to experiment with. I can manage by myself, Miss CapelHer tone was so-cold that Helen tried to justify herself. The dinnerll keep now, till its time to dish-up, she announced. Her back view, however, was impressive, forshe was unusually tall. The intruder would have to know the habits andtime-table of all the inmates. Newton burst into a hoot of amusement at Stephens discomfiture. Kitchen-maid it was, found dead in thehouse, with her throat slit from ear to ear. One of the trees-a tramp, savage and red-eyed-had actually slippedinside. But your way happens to be my way, my dear, Newton told her. It wasobviously absurd to be afraid of a bedridden old woman. Helen had a spasm of shrinking aversion as she thought of Lady Warrensartificial grin. It wasobviously absurd to be afraid of a bedridden old woman.