Re: [grt-talk] GRT in the year 2004 (space and beyond!)

From: Jason Dagit
Subject: Re: [grt-talk] GRT in the year 2004 (space and beyond!)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 00:22:38 -0700

Simon, how do you feel about using darcs for version control?
Nikodemus said he didn't mind giving it a try.  I thought it seemed
like a good tool.  As an experiment, I have created and shared
publicly a darcs repo for grt.  I'm not yet convinced that darcs works
well for many users on the same project.  So far it does seem like a
great tools for managing ones own projects.

I put the current experimental version of grt into a darcs repository
that you can get from my website if you would like to try it out.
Instructions below.  There are issues with this version of grt.  I
think there is a problem with it using in-package, but I haven't
figured it out yet.

I'm not sure how the patch system will work out.  darcs can be
configured to be reasonably automatic in the update process but I
don't know how much of that we'll be able to setup on
common-lisp.net.  Probably the easiest way would be for all of us to
have ssh access to c-l.net, even if sudo only allowed us to apply
patches to the repository.

For now, if you want to send in a patch, create the patch and email it
to me and I'll put it in manually.  This is of course temporary until
we have a more automated system, or decide darcs is not for us.

Instructions:

To view the repository contents point your web browser to:
http://projects.codersbase.com/repos/grt/

To view patches:
http://projects.codersbase.com/cgi-bin/darcs/grt/

To get your own copy:
darcs get http://projects.codersbase.com/repos/grt

To update to latest version:
darcs pull http://projects.codersbase.com/repos/grt

darcs documentation and website:
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/
http://abridgegame.org/darcs/manual/darcs.html

Let me know if you have any problems, questions, or concerns.

Thanks,
Jason

Simon Adameit wrote (on Tue, 25 May 2004 at 13:09 +0200):

 > Am Di, den 25.05.2004 schrieb Jason Dagit um 11:39:
 > > Hello?  Is this thing on?
 > >
 > > No one's used this channel in so long I had to check :)
 > >
 > > I'm unemployed at the moment so I'm going to have plenty of time
 > > to spend hacking away.  I thought I'd try to revive GRT.
 >
 > Great, I have some root solving code lying around here, which I
 > could clean up and submit.

Cool, lets see it :)