Re: [grt-talk] GRT Licencing

From: Nikodemus Siivola
Subject: Re: [grt-talk] GRT Licencing
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:35:09 +0200

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:20:01PM -0700, Jason Dagit wrote:

> Why do you want to change to that license?  Do you have a problem with
> the GPL?  Or do you see something in those licenses that you think
> will help the project?

Sorry for the huge delay. This has been sitting all the time in my
postponed-box...

Funnily enough the answer I'm now giving is quite different I would
have given had I answered in a timely manner. ,)=

The original, rationalized reason was that I suspected that parts of
GRT could be libraries on their own right -- or at least somewhat
usefull to the larger CL community, even if only in terms of cut &
paste. And Common Lisp, GPL, and libraries are a bad or at least
"unpopular" mix (which, depends on your point of view and priorities).

That still holds, but whereas I was thinking of relicensing individual
files, I'm now pondering about relicensing all of GRT.

Also, I've identified my own, real, underlying issue:

 I would prefer GRT to be free-as-a-gift, not free-as-I-tell-you.

MIT/X11 style license would fit this pretty nicely.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus