Re: [grt-talk] Picking targets. Was: Some suggestions. (fwd)

From: Anton N. Mescheryakov
Subject: Re: [grt-talk] Picking targets. Was: Some suggestions. (fwd)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:39:05 +0400

Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

Now *that's* what I call premature optimization: optimizing for a future
implementation of a single compiler. I think it might be more profitable to
write our own vector VOP's for CMUCL and SBCL, but even that's not the
issue for now.
I didn't mean any _optimization_; that I did mean is that more compact code means less pain for changes.

For usage of specialized utilites, read in "On lisp", there is a good
point.

It's too specialized for my taste. It shortens the code in two simple
modules, but does not empower me in other things. The point also made by
graham in On Lisp and his other books is to watch out for gratuitious use
of macroes.

Code becomed good "by letting it spring to it's natural shape", and the
natural shape for vector math is what?
I think that I have to quit this project before I wasted some real time on it as my style is incompatible with my project manager's. No offence and no emotions. As just about any line of code apparently ignite flame wars, we'll have better time without further communications.

Pattern projection, along with texture matrix is obviously nescessary

But what do you mean by it? Please, I have trouble understanding you.
Imagine I know nothing at all about graphics and you need to explain to me
what pattern projection is.
Look at any successful 3D system, e.g. Lightwave3D, 3DSMax, Maya, AOI, Blender and so on. They're good examples of feature sets that artists need.

Best regards,
   Anton.