Re: [grt-talk] Some suggestions.

From: Simon Adameit
Subject: Re: [grt-talk] Some suggestions.
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:22:14 +0200

Anton N. Mescheryakov wrote:

Environmental mapping is quite useful for raytracing, too. First of all, it's a good way to cache rendering data. Render some static environment of chrome object once and use it as you heart desires. Next, it's useful then you CAN'T render environment but you've to render some reflections/refractions or so.

Environmaental mapping might be useful but it's just like the reflection of a sky sphere, so there has to be some more general way to archieve this.

OK, we've come to some interesting point there. Do you mean grt as, say, Lisp povray clone, or bias it towards real production? In the 1st case, our aim is robust, mathematicaly correct program that create nice pictures like chrome torus knot over checker plane; on other side are programs like Lightwave, Maya, RenderMan systems and so on which stress _visual_quality_.

I dont see how the programms you mention stress _visual_quality_ in most cases the images I have seen done with these weren't in any way better than images done with povray. To the contrary IMO images produced with povray are more photorealistic than these. Also the programms you mention all ain't raytracers, not their rendering engine is superior but their workflow.

POVRay is a pain in many places than it comes to photorealistic matters.

How?

Of course, grt is fairly far away from both sides, but questions like "why environment mapping" give me a clue that the course is plotted to the first case - and here isn't anything wrong about it. But I've seen some hype about "image synthesis system" so now I'm a bit confuced...

I cant speak for anyone elso but what I want is a superior rendering engine like POV-Ray with cool shaders like RenderMan and perhaps a gui wich combines the strengths of editing scenes with a text editor and modelling with the mouse and all that written in lisp ;-)