Re: [grt-talk] Some suggestions.

From: Nikodemus Siivola
Subject: Re: [grt-talk] Some suggestions.
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:45:37 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Simon Adameit wrote:

> roughness makes sense as rougher surfaces will blur the reflection of
> the light-source more and thus create dull highlights. non rough
> surfaces wouldn't blur the reflection at all and no highlights would be
> visible.

Err. I think we are missing each other's points.

Me:

0) Higlights are reflections.

1) Classic phong is a cheap trick to simulate highlights.

2) Smart phong might be another worthwhile trick to simulate highlights.

3) Rough surfaces blur reflections, but for non-extreme angles the size of
   the reflected object is more significant than the roughness when
   determining the size of reflection.

4) Blurring is important for realism, but good solutions are
   computationally expensive, so supporting cheap tricks is
   important.

You?

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus