[grt-talk] Some suggestions.

From: Anton N. Mescheryakov
Subject: [grt-talk] Some suggestions.
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:11:38 +0400

Hello, GRT fans. I'm new here, so please don't beat me for some silly questions or my English. Or even do. I won't retailate;) I've hacked grt 0.1 a bit and come to some questions/suggestions/stupid misundestandings: 1) People, I'm puzzled by way you implement vector math. Records, er? Correct me if I'm wrong but records are implemented as lists or vectors, mostly unspecialized. If you don't care about optimization (good point, BTW. As Knuth said "premature optimization is a root of all errors" or so), why do you 'declare so much? The same thing is with colors. BTW, is the RGBA scheduled? Why do you bother with destructuring while you can simply use off-the-shelf sequence grinding stuff like 'map, 'reduce and so on? 2) The way the GRT is written isn't especialy lispish. In some parts it definitely resembles mundane languages like C, Fortrash (sic) and so on. 3) *scene* is evil. Let's do 'with-scene, please? Something like allegro-serve 'html macro:
(with-scene
        (:object (plane #(0 0 0) #(0 0 1) #'checkers '(#(1 1 1) #(0 0 0)))
        (:object (sphere ...))
        (:camera ...)
        (:render "examples:scene.png"))