Re: [grt-talk] Crawling towards 0.1

From: Jason Dagit
Subject: Re: [grt-talk] Crawling towards 0.1
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 01:05:40 -0700

The sdl code is there.  It's broken in a sense or two...More about
that later...I did an update anyway...

Nikodemus Siivola wrote (on Sun, 6 Apr 2003 at 21:34 +0300):

 > Slow but steady... I'd really like to have the 0.1 to be in a
 > fairly reasonable state as a package, so as not to give people bad
 > first impressions. So most of the effort right now is going into
 > infrastructure kind of things, not features.

Can you hook up the code I wrote so that it gets conditionally loaded
the way your clx code is?

 > Done
 >
 >  * Some optimizations, mostly declaimed ftypes, but something else
 >  as well.

I tried to do a bit of that too...But I'm not good at it.

 >  * Added dist.sh and dist.txt to CVS. These are just convenience
 >  tools to make a tarkit. dist.sh makes a tarkit, and dist.txt lists
 >  all files that go into tarkit.

I could write us a traditional makefile if that would be easier.

 >  * See that everything that should be exported is exported.

We should export grt::make so that we can use it to compile the
examples maybe.

 > To be decided:
 >
 >  * Do we yet need any documentation besides README kind of stuff?
 >  If so, should it be in in what format? TexInfo? DocBook? Latex?

I don't know TexInfo or DocBook, but I use LaTex on a daily basis.  If
I have something to write about I could 'tex it up.

 >  * After 0.1 what kind of release philosophy do we have? Release
 >  whenever it feels like it? Release by features sets? Release N
 >  times a year?  Some combination?

I say we release by feature sets.  I also think we should try to
maintain linux kernel style version numbers.  But we don't have a
stable release yet...:)

The reason I say the code that I just committed is broken is because
you have to compile cl-sdl-window.lisp twice before it will load.  But
I don't know how to fix it.  For one thing, the form it complains
about doesn't appear in my code as near as I can tell.  I think its in
either the cl-uffi code or cl-sdl code.  I guess we could look for it
there and submit a patch to them.  I have a patch I've been try to get
into cl-sdl, but they seem uninterested.  Granted, it's a bit silly,
but I think a get-pixel function is useful...

Do we have plans/need antialiasing?

I updated examples.lisp.  If you want to use the new sdl code do this:

(all-examples :sdl t :screen t) ;;with preview
or
(all-examples :sdl t) ;;with-out preview

Basically, I put the most important options into key form and then
all-examples passes those values on to each example.  Look at the code
if that doesn't make sense...

Tell me if it works for you.

Jason