Re: More on writing academic papers

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: More on writing academic papers
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 02:59:24 +1000 (AEST)

Bento,

On Tue, 21 May 2024, Bento Borges Schirmer wrote:

I think I will stop reproducing templates for conferences for now.

Wise move. I just tweak my standard template every time.

different template, such as that of ACM!

Mine is close to this.

That's the entire idea after all, right!? I'll be using defaults for
now and worry less.

Very wise move.

And then, after getting the actual research done and written, I can
spend some time tailoring the final print, I hope to find help here :)
:) Like how to handle all the ABNT rules for citations and references
:(

That is the 'refer' tool. Which is a whole new ball game. I wish I understood it better than I do.

Now I'm thinking about writing filters and preprocessors. I dunno if groff or mm provide mechanisms to reference figures and headers, which would be handy. Unless that is the case, I'm thinking about writing small C programs that recognize some commands and count figures and headers and replace text for me when referencing them, something like that. I dunno I dunno. Let's see.

The Table of Contents macro already handles Figures and Tables and Headings. You caption each table and figure with .TB and .FG macros
respectively/

Whenever I search for users of groff, people frequently mention computer generated content, such as for business. So I guess troff can be used "directly" by writers, but it also suited to be easy to be... generated?

Yes. We process a database to automatically generate the invoice details
which is then run through 'groff -mm' to provide the invoice on a company letterhead.

- Damian