Re: Why does groff require psutils?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Why does groff require psutils?
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 20:26:44 -0500

At 2024-03-24T22:58:57-0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2024-03-17T12:59:51+0100, Alexis wrote:
> > > I'm sorry I let this fall onto the floor.  Picking it up...
> >
> > That's alright; thanks for picking it up again, much appreciated!
> [...]
> > Do let me know if you desire or require further testing or changes, or
> > if I can be helpful in other ways to drive this change forward.
>
> I've pushed this.  Thank you!

Unfortunately I've had to revert it.  It actually does break inclusions
of tables (and maybe equations, too--I didn't check).

To verify, try building HTML versions of groff man pages.

I get output like this:

pnmcrop: The image is entirely background; there is nothing to crop.
pnmtopng: EOF / read error reading magic number
Calling 'pnmcut 3454 78 271 23 < /tmp/branden/groff-page-tADF85 | pnmcrop
-quiet | pnmtopng -quiet -background rgb:f/f/f -transparent rgb:f/f/f>
tbl.1-1.png
' returned status 256

...and when viewing the generated HTML document with firefox(1), blank
areas replace the tables.

When I revert the change, the tables spring back to life (albeit as
raster images, as before).

Alexis, would you like to look into this more deeply, and maybe find a
solution that will enable us to use ps2ps after all?

Regards,
Branden