Re: paragraph-at-once breaking algorithm (was: Re: *roff hyphenation tri

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: paragraph-at-once breaking algorithm (was: Re: *roff hyphenation trivia challenge)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 23:14:24 -0400

On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 03:29:28PM -0500, Dave Kemper wrote:
> Subject: paragraph-at-once breaking algorithm (was: Re: *roff hyphenation
>  trivia challenge)
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 2:23 PM Steve Izma <sizma@golden.net> wrote:
> > I used TeX and LaTeX [...] and the oversetting of lines caused
> > by the periodic failure of the paragraph-justification algorithms
> > drove me nuts. [...] The many lines that overset by only a
> > few points made proofreading really difficult. That's why I'm
> > suspicious of trying to add or replicate these algorithms in
> > groff.
>
> It would be interesting to know if someone with experience using the
> Heirloom troff implementation of this algorithm (and with a good
> typographic eye) has noticed the same problem there.  That is, is it a
> bug in the algorithm itself, or in TeX's implementation of it?

Good question. One experiment might be to choose a long paragraph
and typeset it in TeX, Heirloom troff, and groff and see what the
differences are. Yes, I know, I should probably walk the talk,
but I don't have Heirloom troff installed and ...

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best – and
therefore never scrutinize or question.
    -- Stephen Jay Gould, *Full House: The Spread of Excellence
       from Plato to Darwin*, 1996