Re: Rotated Table in the middle of text

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Rotated Table in the middle of text
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 06:14:18 -0600

Hi Damian,

At 2024-03-06T08:43:59+1100, Damian McGuckin wrote:
> The rotated table within a document is a commonly used paradigm within
> a document, i.e. an A4 landscape page within a document full of A4
> portraint pages.
>
> What is the best way to achieve this?

As far as I know, you have to resort to tricks like embedding PostScript
commands to achieve it.  The *roff language doesn't have a mechanism for
expressing rotation of glyphs, and it is up to the output device to
actually draw any font's glyph.

> Does anybody have examples of how they achieve this?

Tadziu probably does.  Here are some past mailing list posts in the
neighborhood.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2003-02/msg00071.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2012-01/msg00075.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2002-12/msg00109.html

The last seems to hold the most promise to me, as a non-expert in this
area, but it would require a somewhat kludgey approach of pre-rendering
your table (with groff, of course), converting it to EPS, and then
including it (rotated) in the document proper.

Regards,
Branden