Re: [idea] troff -Troff

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [idea] troff -Troff
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 21:37:12 -0500

I’m a little late to the party, but I’ve read Alex’s original post over several
times, and I have to wonder if everyone is over-thinking this.

> On Feb 16, 2024, at 10:21 AM, Alejandro Colomar <alx@kernel.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Branden!
>
> I've been thinking about a suggestion I've done in the past.  I wanted a
> program that reads man(7) source and produces roff(7) source, so that it
> can later be passed to troff(1), thus splitting the groff(1) pipeline a
> bit more.  The idea is similar to how eqn(1) and other pre-troff filters
> do their job.

There has to be a phase during which (g)troff interprets the macros and
produces roff(7) to feed to the main processor. Would it be possible to add a
new command line option (like —roff) that simply dumps the input with macros
applied, then stops?

— Larry