Updating eqn

From: Carl Milsted
Subject: Updating eqn
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 19:18:36 -0500

I have been using GNU eqn for formatting equations on my experimental social media site conntects.net. In the process I came across a couple of bugs when in MathML mode:

 * The lower case Greek letter xi didn't work.
 * The approximately equal sign didn't work.

I cloned your repo and found the bugs and fixed them on my machine. I'd like to know the proper procedure to send the fixes back your way. I have not contributed to a GNU project before.

Also, I'm contemplating making a version of eqn which supports far more symbols. I was figuring on just using the TeX names without the annoying backslashes and adding them to the list of pre-made macros. (Actually, I'd do a separate list in order to be able to turn off this feature.) The procedure looks pretty straightforward.

Should I just make this an independent fork or does such an extension sound interesting?

(And one of these days I'd like to support cube roots and subscripts and superscripts on the left side of symbols. I'd like to bring eqn's capabilities closer to those of TeX. I hate typing in all those backslashes.)

Sincerely,

Carl Milsted