Re: -man fails to use ANSI commands

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: -man fails to use ANSI commands
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2023 19:10:55 -0600

Hi Anton,

At 2023-11-20T00:20:46+0300, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> `export | grep -i sgr' finds nothing, unfortunately.  Where
> else can I look for the reason of -man treating my virtual
> terminal as a printer?  Once I find it, I will bring it up
> with the administrator of that system, and then perhaps with
> the distro maintainers.
[...]
> I accidentally replied to Brandon my mail, because of my
> client (Sylpheed), which insists on replying to this message
> my mail instead of by NNTP (via Gmane). This does not happen
> with any other messages I have tried. I am sending this to
> the mailing list, but the threading may be broken...

If you're still using groff 1.22.4, some distributions used a device
control command to tell grotty(1) to shut off SGR support.  But that
device control command was withdrawn in groff 1.23.0 (July).

https://felipec.wordpress.com/2021/06/05/adventures-with-man-color/

Does this explain what you're seeing?

Regards,
Branden