Re: [htmlxref.cnf] Please update link to the Groff manual

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: [htmlxref.cnf] Please update link to the Groff manual
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:31:55 +0200

Le 02/10/2023 à 21:37, Gavin Smith a écrit :
On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 06:53:30PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
So while changing the name of the directory back to html_node will fix
some broken link problems, it won't fix them all, and it won't be robust
in the face of future development.  I'm fairly neutral on the
"html_node" vs. "groff.html.node" naming issue, but I'm downright
_opposed_ to limiting my (or future contributors') flexibility in
updating, expanding, reducing, or otherwise mutating the node names of
the groff Texinfo manual.  Those shackles are much too tight.

I don't want to go to the GNU site admins with requests to set up
unmaintainable-in-CVS symbolic links (or HTTP redirects in the web
server, whatever they think best) to resurrect some dead links until
we've decided this issue.  So here's what I propose.

You do not need to ask GNU site admins to set up redirects for you.
You can do it with the @anchor command in Texinfo.  From Info node
"(texinfo)@anchor":

                              ... when you delete or rename a node, it is
   usually a good idea to define an ‘@anchor’ with the old name.  That way,
   any links to the old node, whether from other Texinfo manuals or general
   web pages, keep working.

https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040anchor.html

There are other ways to redirect the html_node directory without any
help from sysadmins or webmasters.

* Create an .htaccess file, for example in the manual directory:

RedirectMatch "html_node((/.*)?)$" /software/groff/manual/groff.html.node$1

The URL is redirected to something like this:
https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.html.node/*.html

* Add a line to the existing .symlinks file at the root of the groff directory:

    manual/groff.html.node manual/html_node

This symlink is processed into a rewrite directive:
RewriteRule ^/savannah-checkouts/gnu/groff/manual/html_node((/.*)?)$ \
  /savannah-checkouts/gnu/groff/manual/groff.html.node$1 [R=302,L]

I think the symlink method is not as clean as .htaccess because it
replaces the standard path (gnu.org/software/groff/manual/...) with the
actual location of the manual, possibly confusing visitors:
https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/groff/manual/groff.html.node/*.html