Re: 1.23 prints some strange error

From: Walter Alejandro Iglesias
Subject: Re: 1.23 prints some strange error
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:34:23 +0200

On Wed, Oct 04, 2023 at 01:49:49AM -0500, Dave Kemper wrote:
> On 9/12/23, Walter Alejandro Iglesias <wai@roquesor.com> wrote:
> > This last command throws no error, that's because soelim(1) allows
> > preconv(1) to process the list.tr file.
>
> Walter,
>
> There's a proposal (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59442) to change the
> order of preprocessors to run soelim before preconv when groff is
> given both -k and -s options.  That URL includes a patch that makes
> this change, so if you're willing to rebuilt groff, you could apply
> this patch and see if that improves the situation you've described.

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look.  But as it shows my example, the problem
occurs only with *one* particular UTF-8 character, the iacute.  If what
you're telling me now were the cause of the issue (and the possible
solution) any UTF-8 character should trigger the error.  Besides, I
never pass those options to groff, I use pipes.  This is the command I
use in my Makefile:

pdf: ${doc}.tr
        soelim ${doc}.tr | preconv -e utf8 | pic |\
                groff -m pic -m page -P-p${size} > ${doc}.ps

--
Walter