Re: Help wanted: just run gxditview on your system and click

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Help wanted: just run gxditview on your system and click
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:10:59 -0500

Hi Robert,

At 2023-07-27T11:54:13-0400, Robert Goulding wrote:
> I tried to do this, but gxditview was not on my system (Crostini on a
> Chromebook = Debian 11 (bullseye).

On a Debian box, make sure you have the "groff" package installed, not
just "groff-base".

> So I compiled again from source, making sure --with-x was added to
> configure -- but although the configure output said that x libraries
> were found, gxditview was not built.

Not a surprise; it has dependencies that few people install anymore.

> One other little glitch: the configure script said that "ln -s" does
> not work, so the Makefile tried to use "ln" - which caused an error
> when I tried to build. I had to manually amend the Makefile to use "ln
> -s" instead.

That _is_ a surprise, and it's hard for me to imagine that the relevant
configure check (`AC_PROG_LN_S`)[1] would fail on _any_ Debian system.

Here's the test, which I snarfed out of a config.status file on my
system.  It looks pretty straightfoward to me (but I've been reading
Bourne scripts for many years).

If you want to chase this, you might try some of these commands at your
shell prompt and see what fails.

rm -f conf$$ conf$$.exe conf$$.file
if test -d conf$$.dir; then
  rm -f conf$$.dir/conf$$.file
else
  rm -f conf$$.dir
  mkdir conf$$.dir 2>/dev/null
fi
if (echo >conf$$.file) 2>/dev/null; then
  if ln -s conf$$.file conf$$ 2>/dev/null; then
    as_ln_s='ln -s'
    # ... but there are two gotchas:
    # 1) On MSYS, both `ln -s file dir' and `ln file dir' fail.
    # 2) DJGPP < 2.04 has no symlinks; `ln -s' creates a wrapper executable.
    # In both cases, we have to default to `cp -pR'.
    ln -s conf$$.file conf$$.dir 2>/dev/null && test ! -f conf$$.exe ||
      as_ln_s='cp -pR'
  elif ln conf$$.file conf$$ 2>/dev/null; then
    as_ln_s=ln
  else
    as_ln_s='cp -pR'
  fi
else
  as_ln_s='cp -pR'
fi
rm -f conf$$ conf$$.exe conf$$.dir/conf$$.file conf$$.file
rmdir conf$$.dir 2>/dev/null

Regards,
Branden

[1]