Re: an.tmac, .TH: shows the same text twice in the header! Why necessary

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: an.tmac, .TH: shows the same text twice in the header! Why necessary?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 19:55:53 -0500

At 2023-07-22T19:21:39+0000, Bjarni Ingi Gislason wrote:
>   The text "SENSIBLE-TERMINAL-EMULATOR" is output twice in the header,
> is once not enough and why?  (Is this necessary(?))

It's tradition.  See attachment.

Also see groff's PROBLEMS file.

  * I don't like the page headers and footers produced by groff -man.

  There seem to be many different styles of page header and footer
  produced by different versions of the -man macros.  You need to put
  modified macros from tmac/an.tmac into man.local.  More information is
  available in groff_man(7).

Regards,
Branden