Re: [PROPOSAL] time zones and reproducible builds (was: How to make grof

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] time zones and reproducible builds (was: How to make groff use local timezone?)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 19:26:36 +0100

On Sun, Jul 09, 2023 at 07:13:54PM +0100, Deri wrote:
> It looks Ok, not tested. I'm happy for you to apply.

Thanks.

> Once gropdf moves to the font subsetting version it will cause a
> problem for reproducible builds, since the gubbins inside the pdf
> changes enormously, but it should look identical.

The object of reproducible builds isn't to ensure that output never
changes - it's understood that different versions of tools frequently
generate different output.  Rather, it's to ensure that if two different
people run builds of the same inputs in sufficiently similar
environments, they get the same outputs.  (Characterizing "sufficiently
similar" of course takes considerable work, but it usually involves at
least pinning the same versions of all the build-dependencies.)

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]