Re: a morsel of groff 1.23.0 status

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: a morsel of groff 1.23.0 status
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 00:31:57 +0200

Hi Branden,

On mer., juil. 05 2023 at 05:11:37 , "G. Branden Robinson"
<g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> If what I'm using as a template in the ANNOUNCE file[A] doesn't fit what
> you want to say, then I'd suggest adding the following, though I don't
> insist on either of them.

Ah, I've completely forgotten your ANNOUNCE file...

[...]
> I do grant that if you include both of the above, a modification of
> your 1.22.4 release announcement will look more like than unlike the
> "ANNOUNCE" template.
>
> The writing of promotional copy is not my strong suit, but my concern
> here is to ensure that users of groff 1.22.4 are not lacking reasons to
> upgrade, so I think it is worth going to a little trouble to flog
> 1.23.0's advantages: not just more features, but more testing, more
> documentation, and a better quality of life for our community.

The ANNOUNCE file fits perfectly well to the job, so I'll use it.  I'll
just swap the 1st and 2nd paragraph (normal people usually want to know
what the software is about before actually downloading it).

> (On that high note, I should probably go re-watch _Glengarry Glen
> Ross_ to remind myself what salesmen are really like...)

> Above all, _thank you_ for being the groff maintainer and working to
> make this release possible!  Let me know what sort of fermented or
> distilled beverage you enjoy.  :)

Well both, I've allowed myself a drop of Armagnac (it's like cognac, but
even better) and brewed a cup of Taiwanese Oolong (semi-fermented)
tea... Cheers!

The announcement will be sent in a few minutes.

Regards,
Bertrand