Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device: more display oddities

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device: more display oddities
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 17:54:26 +0200

G. Branden Robinson wrote in
 <20220917005135.3sy2ri22dhvlnvq5@illithid>:
 |At 2022-09-17T01:00:26+0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> G. Branden Robinson wrote in
 |>  <20220916223236.lmkf3brdwotdn2fd@illithid>:

I am shortening that.  I have no time for getting distorted for
fun.

 |> and the locale has not changed!  The manual has not changed either.
 |Are you referring to some other manual?

Really.

 |> Just to remind you that the hyphen-minus -> hyphen change was commited
 |> in March _this_ year.
 |
 |Yes.  After I spent 2+ years advocating it on this mailing list and, as
 |a small portion of my work, reviewing groff's own ~60 man pages for
 |correct glyph usage.
 |
 |> So it you -- you are changing things backward incompatibly!
 |
 |No, I am aligning things more closely between typesetters and terminal

No.  You are changing the outcome of _all_ mdoc manuals ever
written since mdoc sprang into existence.

Copy and paste will be impossible to do henceforth, unless you do
"LC_ALL=C man X" (hopefully!), and one needs to somehow
communicate to users.

 |devices, to reflect the increasing capabilities of terminal devices on
 |Unix systems since about the year 2000.

No, no.

 |You can restore man pages to the appearance you desire by using the same

No.

  ..
 |> Please note again i am doing mdoc(7) here, not mom or ms or my own
 |> macros.
 |
 |Using mdoc(7) is no reason not to read groff_char(7).  mdoc(7) is a
 |groff macro package.  It does not alter the syntax or repertoire of
 |groff special characters.

Branden.  _All_ mdoc manuals _ever_written_ were written in the
environmental circumstances at the time when they were written.

Then Branden Robinson comes along and changes the meaning in 2022.

That is the thing, Branden, that, and solely that.

Ingo has at least run at least dozens of tests over _all manual
pages he got his hands on_ when iterating over the mandoc
development, in order and in hindight to being compatible with
groff output.

Have you just run ONE (!) test in equal spirit when you changed
the entire world.

Let me make a bet.

I bet...

NO!

_NOT_ONE_TEST_AGAINST_THE_EXISTING_POOL_OF_MDOC_MANUALS_!

I bet my fucking as!

I am out.

I wish you a nice weekend.

Ciao.