Re: Warn about long lines

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: Warn about long lines
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 14:51:47 +0200

Hi Ingo,

On 8/24/22 14:18, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
Hi Alejandro,

Alejandro Colomar wrote on Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 12:31:15AM +0200:

Would you mind adding a warning about this?

I'm currently doing a global fix in the Linux man-pages turning kernel
types like __u64 into the standard uint64_t that user-space programmers
expect.  Most of these are used within structure definitions, and so
they are within .EX/.EE (non-filled).  I fear that I might be making one
of those structure definitions go past the right margin, and there are
so many, that it's not funny rendering all of them to check; not even
only those that I suspect that might; especially, since some may be
deeply indented in .RS/.RE blocks that I may not notice (and that
happened at least once --in one that I checked, luckily--).

That is an interesting idea.  I certainly see how it could be useful
for users, without having to run an additional tool or command.

It may not be easy to implement in a useful way, though.

[...]

   mandoc -T ascii -W all > /dev/null

which i don't really want to recommend.

I wouldn't either. There should be a consistent way to get the maximum number of warnings, and that is already -Tlint.

For now, i am adding this entry to the mandoc TODO file:

  - warn about output lines exceeding 80 characters
    Alejandro Colomar Aug 22, 2022
    not trivial because -T lint does not call any formatter
    loc ***  exist *  algo **  size **  imp **

No guarantee whether or when it can be done.

Don't worry, I'll use the workaround for now.

For the time being, i suggest this workaround:

    $ cd /co/linux-man-pages/
    $ for f in man?/*; do mandoc $f | col -b | grep -E '.{80}' && echo $f; done

ldap://host.com:6666/o=University%20of%20Michigan,c=US??sub?(cn=Babs%20Jensen)
   man7/uri.7

   ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu/o=University%20of%20Michigan,c=US?postalAddress

ldap://host.com:6666/o=University%20of%20Michigan,c=US??sub?(cn=Babs%20Jensen)
   man7/url.7

   ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu/o=University%20of%20Michigan,c=US?postalAddress

ldap://host.com:6666/o=University%20of%20Michigan,c=US??sub?(cn=Babs%20Jensen)
   man7/urn.7

   Rule    US      1967    1973    -       Apr    lastSun    2:00w    1:00d    D
   man8/zic.8

For now, I'll pick Ralph's suggestion, which integrates well with `groff -ww -Tascii`, which I'm already running:

I'll change the current:

        $(GROFF) $(GROFFFLAGS) -z $<

Into something like:

        $(GROFF) $(GROFFFLAGS) $< | (! grep '.\{80\}.')

Don't worry, Thunderbird hates everyone, not you specifically.
I do wonder why so many use it anyway, though.

I'll also answer your old comment about why I use gmail, if it's so horrible (and I agree it is, although still lightyears better than outlook).

I'm very young, and I started using Linux through a gui. I learnt the basic command-line commands I needed for what I wanted (a small program implementing a mathematical algorithm, for testing its validity and performance), which was basically apt-get, gcc, and make, and eveything else I did it through gnome. I read email through the web browser.

It was only very slowly that I learnt more command line tools until what I know now, by self learning (no CS studies), and asking in forums and more recently in mailing lists. Since what I do is programming, I learnt programming tools very well, but since I didn't write emails too seriously until my first contributions in the linux-man@ mailing list in 2020, I never took the time to learn email. And since Thunderbird was the closest thing to what I knew (back then only web gmail) that could send plain text, I learnt that. More recently I learnt git-send-email(1), since Thunderbird screws my patches.

But I still haven't found the time to learn a replacement. Also, if I start using a command-line-based email client, I'd also like to set up my own email server, for which I'd like to set up some "special" things. Specifically, I never liked CAs --not even creating my own CA--, so I'd like to set up a server where I can access to IMAP through SSH (similar to how git(1) uses a remote). I didn't research much, but it seems like not a standard thing to do. Doesn't seem impossible, but will require some hacking and a lot of time to learn.

I'm decided to change that soon, but don't have a specific value for "soon".

I guess most of you went the other way around when learning: you started at a time where computers rarely had guis, so you learnt first the commands and only then guis came out, and offered little more than the command lines. It's not how it works today, where young people rarely know what a terminal is, or what Unix is, and it's very hard to find a good way to learn it.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar