Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:58:32 +0200

Hi Ingo and Branden,

Since I'm not 100% convinced by any of the ways to format structure definitions in SYNOPSIS, I'm going to go for the status quo. Since there weren't any structure definitions (at least that I know of) in SYNOPSIS before my introduction, I'll go for what was used in DESCRIPTIONs. That is embedding them in EX/EE, which uses monospace, which allows me to align perfectly with spaces in any output device.

I hope nobody will consider this very harmful.

Still, I'm interested in your discussion about the best way to show structured data like this, and the possible portability/readability/accessibility issues of each alternative, so this is just a temporary solution until we agree on something better (if it exists).

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar