.so colophon.man

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: .so colophon.man
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 22:45:42 +0200

Hi Branden,

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to have a constant '.so man-pages-colophon.man' line at the end of all of the Linux man-pages, instead of appending a COLOPHON at every release. The man-pages-colophon.man file would be shiped together with the pages, and it would be created by `make dist`.

I think it's unnecessary to provide a dummy file in the repo, right? I mean, .so is not like #include that would fail hard if the file doesn't exist. It will instead just continue, right?

Do you think it would be a good idea?

I was making the COLOPHON be part of the `make dist` command (to avoid having to generate it separately), and this would simplify things a lot. Not having to append to files controlled by make(1) would avoid having to rerun many recipes.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar