Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Using tbl(1) for structure definitions
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 13:49:28 +0100

Hi Alex,

> > .\" Start table.
> > .de1 TS
> > .  \" If continuous rendering, tell tbl not to use keeps.
> > .  ie \\n[cR] .nr 3usekeeps 0
> > .  el         .nr 3usekeeps 1
> > .  sp \\n[PD]u
> > .  if \\n[an-is-output-html] \{\
> > .    nr an-TS-ll \\n[.l]
> > .    ll 1000n
> > .  \}
> > .  HTML-IMAGE
> > ..
>
> I'll tell you what I understand from that macro definition, so that
> you have an idea of how little groff(7) I know:

CSTR 54 is short and a first read will get you a long way in getting the
gist of what's going on.  It also has summary tables early on.
https://troff.org/54.pdf

In the above, they're all mnemonic.

    .de  define a macro
    .ie  start an if-else
    .el  the else part
    .nr  set a number register
    .sp  add vertical space or move vertically to a place
    .if  an if-else with no .el  :-)
    .ll  set the line length
    \nx  the value of number register x

--