Re: tbl(1) minor issues

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: tbl(1) minor issues
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 11:19:19 +0100

Hi Dave,

> However, even Branden's more stringent requirement can be met by
> turning the parenthetical sentence into a subordinate clause:
>
> They can be specified in any lettercase (unlike in AT&T tbl, which
> accepted only options with all characters in the same lettercase) and
> must be separated by commas, spaces, or tabs.
>
> It's a couple words longer, but in my opinion more clearly structured,
> because the parenthetical appears immediately after the phrase it's
> modifying.

How about this middle paragraph, with the other two unaltered ones for
context.

    The line immediately following the .TS token may specify region options:
    keywords that influence the interpretation or rendering of the region as
    a whole or all table entries within it indiscriminately.

    Options are separated by spaces, tabs, or commas and their case does not
    matter, though AT&T tbl requires each option to be a single case.

    Some of these options require a parenthesized argument; those that do
    permit spaces and tabs between the option’s name and the opening
    parenthesis.

--
Cheers, Ralph.