"Writing my PhD using groff"

From: Alexis
Subject: "Writing my PhD using groff"
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 10:08:59 +1000

Just came across this, thought people here might appreciate it:

"Quality was not the only way in which groff surprised me: it has serious speed too, especially in comparison to LaTeX ...

"In fact, many of the advantages of using groff are the same as LaTeX, but with the added advantage of speed and simplicity. Just like with LaTeX, you can dive into the code to change a macro but, unlike LaTeX, I have found Mom’s macros fairly understandable and not nested ten layers deep in some ancient package ...

"Below a sample of the in–progress PhD. I don’t want laggy Word and inconsistent styling issues. I don’t want KOMA-Script woes and minutes–long compile times. I want something simple that works: groff!"

-- https://jstutter.netlify.app/#220721-writing-my-phd-using-groff

Alexis.