Re: warning on mid-input line sentence endings (was: Warn on semantic ne

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: warning on mid-input line sentence endings (was: Warn on semantic newlines)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 18:30:28 -0500

On 7/17/22, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble thinking of single other example that needs
> to operate at the level of the formatter as this one does.

Hmm... does the USER care what level it's operating at?  Should the
user interface for this low-level diagnostic look basically like that
for whatever ends up getting designed for
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62042 ?

> It's why I am similarly loath to add a new category (or "level") of
> diagnostic message-printing function to groff.  We already have
> fatal/error/warning/debug (the last a post-1.22.4 addition by me, and
> which really shouldn't have any call sites in a released version).

Outputwise, this seems like a type of warning, just not one that fits
into the existing warning system.  But if its output mechanism
prepends "warning:" to the message, that doesn't seem like a bad
thing.

> Right now "style*something" feels like the least bad, but I feel like
> "something." is more congruent with existing practice, especially if we
> don't think of another plausible formatter-level style warning.

Maybe, but it's sort of hard to tell what "we," as an ongoing and open
collective, may think of years down the line.

> "continuedsentence" doesn't feel intelligible to me because the warning
> diagnoses a new sentence suprisingly appearing in the midst of an input
> line, not a single sentence that is rambling on.

Good point.  Luckily, "newsentence" is shorter.