groffer.am uses DESTDIR incorrectly

From: phoebos
Subject: groffer.am uses DESTDIR incorrectly
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:12:38 +0100

Hi,

>From contrib/groffer/groffer.am lines 93-103:

    groffer: $(GROFFER_PERL) $(GROFFER_REST) $(SH_DEPS_SED_SCRIPT)
        $(AM_V_GEN)sed -f "$(SH_DEPS_SED_SCRIPT)" \
           -e "s|[@]g[@]|$(g)|g" \
           -e "s|[@]BINDIR[@]|$(DESTDIR)$(bindir)|g" \
           -e "s|[@]libdir[@]|$(DESTDIR)$(libdir)|g" \
           -e "s|[@]groffer_dir[@]|$(DESTDIR)$(groffer_dir)|g" \
           -e "s|[@]VERSION[@]|$(VERSION)|g" \
           -e "$(SH_SCRIPT_SED_CMD)" \
           $(groffer_srcdir)/groffer.pl \
           >$@ \
        && chmod +x $@;

This use of DESTDIR, modifying the internal paths used in groffer,
causes it not to work: I build then run `make DESTDIR=/tmp/g install`,
for example, so that I can externally document what files are installed
by groff, and then install the project to /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc.
DESTDIR is conventionally used in this way as a temporary directory, not
considered to be the final location of files to be installed.
However, after this, my /usr/bin/groffer file looks on line 136 for
/tmp/g/usr/lib/groff/groffer, which does not exist, but
/usr/lib/groff/groffer does. So, groffer exits early.

Could this issue be fixed? (Simply remove $(DESTDIR) from the above lines.)

Many thanks,

phoebos