PDF reader for Groff output

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: PDF reader for Groff output
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 16:16:52 +1000 (AEST)

I recently upgraded to CentoS 7.9. Sadly, Ghostscript no longer renders to an X11 screen.

I use Groff 1.22.4, standard configure.

I have a PDF file while displays nicely using Acrobat reader on Windows but does not render properly wioth 'evince' 3.28.2, for example the tiny
PDF file attached.

Any suggestions?  What PDF viewer should I use?

The output of

        pdffonts a.pdf

is
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub
uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- ---
--- ---------
Symbol                               Type 1            Custom           no  no
no       9  0
Times-Bold                           Type 1            Custom           no  no
yes     12  0
Times-Italic                         Type 1            Custom           no  no
yes      5  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1            Custom           no  no
yes     15  0

Note that configure said:

configure:
  No URW fonts in .pfb format were found on your system, URW fonts
  generation for 'devpdf' will not work properly.  These fonts can be
  downloaded here:

    http://downloads.ghostscript.com/public/fonts/urw-base35-v1.10.zip

  By default groff will search these fonts in the paths given by `gs
  -h' and in these 2 default directories:
  '/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/' and
  '/opt/local/share/fonts/urw-fonts/' (paths used by
  font/devpdf/Foundry.in).  You can also pass the option
  '--with-urw-fonts-dir=DIR' to 'configure' to set a custom path.  You
  would need to re-run the 'configure' script after installing these
  fonts.

Note - That message needs to be fixed because the URL is no longer valid.

Stay safe - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer