Re: man(7) .TH font change, was: groff man(7) `B` macro...

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: man(7) .TH font change, was: groff man(7) `B` macro...
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 15:00:48 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

> We don't have full control, but we have considerable control,
> since I maintain the Linux man-pages.

And it's great you're on the list.  For those who don't
know how Linux man pages are structured, you're referring to
https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.  So not the pages from
individual projects like Postfix, Samba, Git, curl, etc.

On this out of date system, the *.gz man pages under
/usr/share/man, so ignoring /usr/local/man, come from about
600 packages.  Package man-pages is the biggest supplier of
those at about 17% of the man-page files, but that still leaves
quite a few others.

More important, though, are the systems processing man pages
which won't understand .MR.  man pages written to be compatible
with those will have to ignore .MR or have some local test to
decide whether their internal macro should use .MR because it's
available or stick to the tried and tested method.

--
Cheers, Ralph.