Viewing C/A/T Troff Output (Re: groff man(7) `B` macro behavior with `\c

From: Dan Plassche
Subject: Viewing C/A/T Troff Output (Re: groff man(7) `B` macro behavior with `\c`, and input traps)
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 14:13:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Branden and Group,

On Sat, 18 Jun 2022, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

> I sure wish someone would leak the Unix 4.0 (1981) troff sources.

The ditroff conversion before the releases of Documenter's Workbench?

> Maybe a shorter pole would be to write a cat2dit(1) for V7-era C.

For reviewing C/A/T troff output it might be easiest to use Adobe
transcript, which included ptroff to convert from otroff to postscript.

Transcript is on disc 4 of Kirk McKusick's CSRG set under
local/transcript in source and binary form for the Vax.  There's a
version of public domain ditroff from 1981 in local/ditroff on that disc
as well.  Running 4.3 Reno from disc 2 or TUHS on a Vax in simh and
pulling the software off disc 4 would cover your bases pretty well.

Alternatively, you can also find an earlier version of transcript in
binary form on Apple AU/X and a later version from 1987 on
Nextstep/Openstep if you already run either of those in emulation.

The open source psroff from Chris Lewis is another option, but takes a
lot more work to compile.

Best,

Dan Plassche

--