Re: .TQ to replace .PD 0

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: .TQ to replace .PD 0
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 11:55:26 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

> For the following existing usage of the deprecated .PD 0 I tried to
> use .TQ in a way that I'm not sure if it's correct by just reading
> groff_man(7):
>
>     .PD 0
>     .TP
>     tag1
>     Some text here.
>     .TP
>     tag2
>     Some more text.
>     .PD

Yes, if you really don't want the 0.4v or 1v spacing, use PD.  The man
macros have had it since at least 7th Ed. so it is supported in any
decent descendant.

It's worth remembering that a man page is roff source for nroff or troff
using the -man macros.  It isn't semantic mark up and contorting it to
be that is a bad idea.  Better to write a new macro set for that
purpose, or to write in something other than roff and then turn that
into good nroff/troff input.

For output formats, the ones to support are a TTY with either ASCII,
ISO 8859-1, or UTF-8, and PDF.

--
Cheers, Ralph.