Re: traveling for a few days

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: traveling for a few days
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2022 03:24:43 +1000

At 2022-04-23T11:37:54-0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi Bertrand,
>
> Excellent to see you back!  Please excuse the GMail-compromised
> response, but I wanted to venture a guess about the test failures
> you're seeing, in hopes I can hasten the problem toward resolution.

Hello again, Bertrand.  I'm back in the saddle.  Let me iterate my
thanks to you for grappling submodule and build system issues.

I'll note in case anyone had a problem with an 'M' descriptor showing up
next to the gnulib directory on "git status" output--I had to do a
  $ git submodule update
to resync with the update to the new gnulib tag.

After that things worked fine.

> > I had a little bit of time to test; I see 3 fails (I'm testing on
> > Archlinux) that block the release:
> >
> >    FAIL: tmac/tests/e_chapter-titles-work.sh
> >    FAIL: tmac/tests/e_ld-works.sh
> >    FAIL: tmac/tests/localization-works.sh
[...]
> Something all 3 of these tests have in common is that they populate a
> shell variable with embedded multiple backslashes, then pass that
> variable (double-quoted) as an argument to 'echo'.
>
> It might be necessary to use printf(1) here instead.

Please try the attached patch.  It doesn't regress on my system, and if
it clears the problems on yours it should be good for a commit (if I add
a ChangeLog message).

Regards,
Branden