Re: traveling for a few days

From: Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: traveling for a few days
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 08:13:40 -0500

Hi John

[I'm still travel-compromised here]

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022, 13:40 John Gardner <gardnerjohng@gmail.com> wrote:

> On macOS, Groff builds and installs perfectly from a fresh checkout
> (currently using f55d8f41).
>
> However, running `make check` produced 6 failing tests:
>
> FAIL: src/devices/grotty/tests/basic_latin_glyphs_map_correctly.sh
>> XFAIL: src/roff/groff/tests/string_case_xform_unicode_escape.sh
>> XFAIL src/roff/groff/tests/string_case_xform_unicode_escape.sh (exit
>> status: 1)
>> XFAIL: tmac/tests/an-ext_ME-punct-hyphenates.sh
>> XFAIL tmac/tests/an-ext_ME-punct-hyphenates.sh (exit status: 1)
>> XFAIL: tmac/tests/an-ext_UE-breaks-before-long-URIs.sh
>> XFAIL tmac/tests/an-ext_UE-breaks-before-long-URIs.sh (exit status: 1)
>> XFAIL: tmac/tests/an-ext_UE-punct-hyphenates.sh
>> XFAIL tmac/tests/an-ext_UE-punct-hyphenates.sh (exit status: 1)
>> XFAIL: tmac/tests/e_footnotes-work-with-columns.sh
>> XFAIL tmac/tests/e_footnotes-work-with-columns.sh (exit status: 1)

The good news here is that this is only 1 failure, not 6. XFAIL tests are
"eXpected to FAIL".  If one one them passes unexpectedly, that's an "XPASS'
and might mean a bug was fixed by accident.

> The first failure bothers me the most, as it relates to something I've
> noticed Groff doing for a while now:
>
> FAIL: src/devices/grotty/tests/basic_latin_glyphs_map_correctly.sh
>> ==================================================================
>>
>> checking "ascii" output device...group1 group2 group3 " \ ` ' - ^ ~
>> checking "latin1" output device...group1 group2 group3 " \ ` ' - ^ ~
>> checking "utf8" output device...group1 group2 group3 " \ ' FAILED `
>> FAILED - FAILED ^ FAILED ~ FAILED
>> FAIL src/devices/grotty/tests/basic_latin_glyphs_map_correctly.sh (exit
>> status: 1)
>

> I've saved the build log and test-suite.log. Should I open a ticket on
> Savannah?

Shooting in the dark here, I'm wondering if the script is failing to detect
the unavailability of a UTF-8 character encoding and is running a doomed
test. Bjarni, who often or exclusively uses ISO 8859-15, has more than once
exposed robustness oversights in my test scripts in this regard.

I hope to have my laptop going again in a day or so; I can then resume
development work.

> in the event I should be eaten by a grue and don't return.  :P
>>

> Carry some illuminate with you, and for God's sake, keep the damn light on.

So far, no threatening little knife-wielding dwarves have entered the room.

Regards,
Branden (or so he _claimed_, lacking a GPG signature)