Re: traveling for a few days

From: Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: traveling for a few days
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:37:54 -0500

Hi Bertrand,

Excellent to see you back!  Please excuse the GMail-compromised response,
but I wanted to venture a guess about the test failures you're seeing, in
hopes I can hasten the problem toward resolution.

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022, 11:10 Bertrand Garrigues <
bertrand.garrigues@laposte.net> wrote:

> Hi Branden,
>
> On Fri, Apr 22 2022 at 01:30:54 AM, "G. Branden Robinson" <
> g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Just wanted to advise that I'll be traveling for a few days so my usual
> > periodic burst of commits to groff Git's repo will be delayed.
> >
> > I'm attaching the work that I have pending, in the event I should be
> > eaten by a grue and don't return.  :P  It's just a snapshot; usually
> > these things see some rebasing and modification before a real push.
> >
> > These are all/mostly documentation fix-ups; when I return I want to
> > continue the build tidying process as the slog toward 1.23.0.rc2
> > continues.
>
> I had a little bit of time to test; I see 3 fails (I'm testing on
> Archlinux) that block the release:
>
>    FAIL: tmac/tests/e_chapter-titles-work.sh
>    FAIL: tmac/tests/e_ld-works.sh
>    FAIL: tmac/tests/localization-works.sh
>
> For the 1st one we try to do:
>
>   grep -Fqx '$C: "Chapter" "1" "The Boy Sickens"'
>
> however the output I have is:
>
>    $C: \$@ $C: \$@ $C: \$@ Chapter 1 The Boy Sickens Chapter 2 The Boy
> Dies Appendix A Pathology of Boy Aged 11 Years
>
> I haven't checked the 2 other ones yet.

Something all 3 of these tests have in common is that they populate a shell
variable with embedded multiple backslashes, then pass that variable
(double-quoted) as an argument to 'echo'.

It might be necessary to use printf(1) here instead.

> Probably need to bite the bullet and update the gnulib submodule to
> > something relatively current.  Bjarni has I think already tried this; if
> > someone else would like to give it a spin, too, I'd appreciate it.
>
> I've updated the gnulib to their latest sha and updated our bootstrap
> script, no issue, so it's on master now.

Thank you!

Regards,
Branden (without ready access to his GPG key)