Re: Proposal: drop devps "oldfonts" support

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Proposal: drop devps "oldfonts" support
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 23:04:36 +1100

At 2022-03-10T12:48:08+0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> > I wanted to solicit opinions on a trim-down and simplification of the
> > groff build, source tree, and distribution archive.
> >
> > I'd like to get rid of the "old fonts" directory that grops(1) can be
> > configured to find.
>
> You don't spell out how the second paragraph helps achieve the first
> other than the more that's deleted the less that remains.

Hi Ralph,

It felt fragile and crufty to me to have generated files in the source
tree for which we had lost the materials to regenerate.

But I've reversed course on this.  Werner Lemberg put me in touch with
the AFM files that were originally used to generate the "old" and "new"
groff font descriptions.  While eventually I'd like to construct a "best
of both worlds" set of font descriptions for 314-glyph (newer) variant
of the Adobe Type 1 fonts, that's less important than being able to
reconstruct the artifacts that we have.

It occurs to me that a useful thing to do might be to add a "psurw.tmac"
file which remaps TR, TI, CR, HB, etc., to the URW++-supplied fonts that
come with Ghostscript, and which our build process depends on anyway.

Regards,
Branden